Table of Contents
Preparing Site for New Year
Following are the steps for preparing a site for a new school year.
Paying for Services
To order service for the next year, see this page
It is strongly recommended to NOT perform these operations at the end of a school year; it is advised to perform them at the end of summer just prior to starting a new year.
In the case of schools using the extended care manager, it is imperative to not perform these steps prior to July 16.
Moreover, schools that use the additional Silent Dismissal features such as parent accounts on either the web or via the mobile app, or use Extended Care management should not use the alternate method as it imparts a significant burden on parents and dramatically impacts historic data.
There are two ways of performing the new year conversion.
This is the preferred method: The first method involves maintaining as much student information as possible by promoting students a grade level, removing the oldest students, adding new incoming students, and assigning students to classroom rosters.
This method is not recommended: The alternate method is to treat each school year as a new customer load by removing all students and optionally removing all staff accounts. If your school allows parent access via the web or mobile phone app, removing and reloading students will remove all associations from parent accounts to students. Removing and reloading students each year will also cause the following:
- Individual student history from the prior year will be lost
- Families will generally be assigned new pick up IDs (carpool numbers) unless the list is maintained by the school
- All student associations to clubs, buses, vans, etc. will be removed
- Carry over extended care information for accounts will not be maintained
Additionally, if you elect to perform a complete data purge and reload the responsibility will be with the school to perform this action. New customer start up prices reflect the effort required to perform a system load whereas renewal customer pricing presumes that schools will only be making minor data adjustments to reflect year to year changes rather than a complete system load.
Identifying Available Pick ID Numbers
Pick Up ID numbers assigned to students must be a integer between 1 and 4,999, inclusive.
In most instances it is beneficial to have students from the same family - that is, students who are picked up together - assigned to the same Pick Up ID number. To determine the currently assigned Pick Up ID number for a family, navigate to STUDENTS / LIST → Select the first letter of the last name then look in the third column for the currently assigned Pick Up ID.
When a new student who is not a member of a family with an existing student is added, it is necessary to obtain a Pick Up ID number that is not currently in use. The list of unused numbers available between the lowest assigned number and the highest assigned number may be found in bottom section of the Possible Errors report. Navigate to REPORTS / DATA REVIEW : POSSIBLE ERRORS then scroll to the last section of the report. Additionally, all in use Pick Up ID numbers may be viewed by looking at REPORTS / DATA REVIEW : NUMBER LINKS.
This is the method for maintaining as much data from year to year as is possible.
- Tools / Set Grade Reference - makes sure that the student grade level matches that of the teacher they are assigned
- Tools / Delete Grade - delete students in your oldest grade who have left the school. If any students did not get promoted, set their grade level back one grade before performing this step
- Tools / Promote - increases all of the student grades by one
- Tools / Unassign - removes the classroom assignment from last year
- Reports / Possible Error - go to the end of the report to the section titled Gaps in Carpool Numbers to identify unused numbers that may be used for incoming students
- Accounts / List - remove staff who have left the school by placing a check mark at the beginning of the line, scroll to the bottom then selecting Delete Selected
- Accounts / New or Accounts / Bulk Load - add new incoming staff. It is required that all classroom accounts be created to assign students
- Reports / Staff Reference - you'll need these numbers when loading incoming K and PreK students
- Get a spreadsheet dump from your SIS (Student Information System) of the new students. Create columns in this order with this information:
- Last Name
- First Name
- Carpool ID (use the unused numbers or the same number as older siblings)
- Grade (grade number or 0 for K, -1 for PreK four year olds, -2 for PreK three year olds
- Class Code (from the staff reference report)
- Copy the five columns from the spreadsheet to the computer clipboard
- Students / Bulk Load - paste into the big area, from the drop down choose Use Data Set, press Submit. Now all new students are in and assigned to classrooms
- Print a copy of the classroom rosters and provide to teachers.
- Have teachers go to Students / Roster then pick their student rosters.
- Have them highlight any students that they cannot find in Silent Dismissal
- Have them return to them either indicating all assigned or which children are missing.
- Students / New - add the missing students, setting the grade, classroom, and carpool ID as appropriate
- - Students / List / Unassigned - review students who are not assigned to a classroom. Delete the unassigned students at Tools / Delete Unassigned
- Reports / Possible Errors - review the information presented in the report to ensure that none of the possible errors are actual errors
- Tools / Print Tags by Classroom - print the parent tags for the new year
- Tools / Print Tags Bookbag - (optional) print tags which may be laminated and attached to student book bags
Using this method, all or the majority of current data is deleted from your school's database. It should be reloaded in bulk, similar to the process of initial data load, mentioned in this page of the wiki. Please refer back to this page to assure your school's staff and student spreadsheet data is correct and will load properly.
NOTE: The following actions are permanent and cannot be undone.
These steps must be performed by a Local Admin account:
- Select TOOLS / UNASSIGN CLASSROOM, then on the directed web page select All [# of students] from the drop-down menu labeled “Scope to Unassign” and enter the code word provided to authorize the mass unassign
- This action will remove all student classroom associations and will prompt all students in your database to become members of the “Unassigned” student group
- Select TOOLS / DELETE UNASSIGNED, review the information to assure 100% of student records will be deleted, and enter the code word to authorize the deletion of “Unassigned” students
- This action will remove all students belonging to the “Unassigned” student group
- Select ACCOUNTS / LIST, then click the check mark in the top left corner of the table, scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Delete Selected”
- This step will delete all of the selected staff accounts, excluding the local admin account you are currently logged into
- [optional] Select REPORTS / PARENTS ACCOUNT LIST then click the X adjacent to each parent account to delete the account